Day 1 - Basel, Switzerland

I wasn't sure where to start: at Basel or at the begging of the front. But starting at Basel seemed appropriate. A point where the three frontiers meet now and which is so much different from the old frontiers point.


The sign, erected in Switzerland pointing to France and Germany



I arrived at Basel evening of June 25th. The friends that I haven't seen so long greeted me at the station. Next day I took two walks around Basel: a morning one with my friends and a bit later by myself. The place of three frontiers is different now: busy, cultural, green, beautiful. Beautiful architecture, sculptures, parks. A town with fun playgrounds (and many of them) 




and a lot of fountains with drinkable water




A town where Swiss go to Germany for shopping (and some French too). With all of them enjoying parks, the river and the city. All peaceful.





One of the most beautiful Town halls I have seen




I accidentally stumbled across a jazz concert somewhere in a closed yard. I heard saxophones and trombones. Few meters later I came across an organ concert in one of the smaller churches. The sound was bouncing of the walls straight into my auditory cortex stimulating way more parts of the brain. I could feel every note of the organ running through my skin, penetrating it. It was a perfect prelude for the trip. A contrast of the present to the past with music sounds acting as the connecting string. Perfect.

One of my favourite Tinguely fountain sculptures - a walker


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

July 2: still trying to reach Saint-Mihiel

July 4: Verdun

July 25: a bunch of rabbits, new museum and the most important Canadian monument-battlefield