June 28: the misunderstandings and the lost day

First night in the tent was interesting. The pond has some big fish - they were jumping at night or early in the morning, frogs were singing and cows or some devices in their 'house' were making bumping sounds all night somewhere behind the pond. Some member of different species made sorrowful voice (most probably some other member of another species used the first one for late dinner or early breakfast) in the next-to-tent forest. The sun rose and the tent became a sauna. I planned to walk to the sign I saw yesterday and look at the old railway from the First World War. But I remembered that I had a meeting with a girl in Basel (that's what happens when one mixes Saturday with Sunday). So I walked-hitchhiked back to Basel (38km). This allowed me to meet some amazing people from Germany (two were living in Saint-Louis, one - in Gottingen), who made all this lost day worthwhile. After the meeting it was quite late, so I slept next to garages in a place with many spiky plants I cut them down to put up my tent. Planes where landing and taking off right above my head. I was angry at myself for making bad decisions and loosing another day. And wondered if I would get killed if one of the planes would started to fall apart.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

July 2: still trying to reach Saint-Mihiel

July 4: Verdun

July 25: a bunch of rabbits, new museum and the most important Canadian monument-battlefield